Are you thinking about cleaning the golf grips on your own? Well, that’s appreciating. If you are confused about getting the golf grips clean as new, you do not have to worry. Follow this guide, and you will find out every detail for cleaning the golf grips instantly.
The golf grip is the only part of a club that keeps contact with your hand. You hit the ball and shoot lower scores with the help of this grip. That is why it is essential to keep the grips clean and tidy so you won’t feel any dirt during a swing. Most golfers prefer to clean the clubs from professionals spending a decent amount of money. But I like to clean my golf equipment on my own, including grips. If you know the right way of cleaning, you can get a more splendid result than cleaning services, that too, without spending any money.
I will discuss here the cleaning processes of three different types of grips. Let’s start with the most common rubber grips.
Cleaning process of rubber grips
Most clubs have rubber grips. Usually, these grips are soft, squishy, and pretty comfortable for use. That’s the reason they are in great demand in the market. There are very many chances that you own clubs of rubber grips. Rubber grips last long if you clean them properly because dirt, sweat make them reduce their longevity. It will be wise if you wipe the grips with a towel or wiper after every shot. This will keep the grips clean for a long time. When you feel they are too much dirty, you should follow the process given below.
Before proceeding, you must need some necessary equipment ready near your hands for cleaning. These pieces of equipment are almost available in every house. They are,
• A bowl
• Liquid soap
• Two dry towels or washcloth
Now that you have all the elements with you, you can start the cleaning process. Ensure you do the cleaning at your garage or outside if you do not mess the kitchen sink.
• Take the bowl and fill half of the bowl with water. You can use luke-warm water if there is too much dirt. Otherwise, normal temperature water is also appropriate.
• Pour two or three drops of liquid soap into the water. Be sure to pour as little soap as possible. You can go for that if you want to use other cleaning agents, but the cleaning agent should be mild. Harsh soap or cleaning agents can damage the rubber grip.
• Now stir the water well and make enough bubbles.
• Take a soft microfiber towel or a washcloth and soak it in soap water. Squeeze the towel well, so there remains no extra liquid.
Sometimes, you will notice the grip’s color is being changed as the dirt is removed. • Use the towel to rub the grip gently. You will see the noticeable difference in a while.
• After cleaning the grips, you should dry them with another dry towel or washcloth. And it is done.
Cleaning white golf grips
Usually, golfers skip white equipment because they get dirty quickly. A golfer has to spend a quality amount of time on the golf course. Thus the pieces of equipment get in touch with dust, dirt, sweat quickly. Meanwhile, if he owns white equipment such as white grips, he has to clean this equipment more often. The color white is more standard, prominent, and decent looking at golf courses than other colors. A few golfers choose white grips. If cleaned and taken care of properly, white grips can last a long time, having the color new.
The equipment you will need for cleaning white grips are,
• Cleaning liquid
• Towel or washcloth
Once you have all the necessary equipment, you can start the following process to get back the clean white grips as new.
• Alcohol is beneficial for cleaning white grips. Take a towel and soak that into alcohol. Here, you can also use cleaning pads or cotton pads for this step. Dip the cotton pad into liquor.
• Rub the pad well over the grip’s surface. This will remove dirt and other marks from the grip. In a few minutes, the hold will change color.
• Once it’s done, take a washcloth and pour a drop of cleaning agent over it. Rub the washcloth well to create foam.
• Wipe the grip again with the washcloth. This will make the grip more bright and keep the grip white as new.
• For ending, air dry the grips, or you can wipe them with dry towels.
Tips for cleaning your golf pride grips
Golf pride grips are a bit exceptional than the above two grips. Pride grips are mainly hybrid grips. These grips provide extra stability and comfort to your hand so you can trigger a good shot. This is the reason pride grips are gaining popularity gradually. Golfers appreciate this grip at professional competitions and also at regular practice. As the build material of pride grip differs from rubber grip, you should take extra care of this fantastic grip.
For cleaning the pride grips, you must have the following equipment near you before starting the cleaning steps.
• Luke-warm water
• An old toothbrush with soft bristles
• Liquid soap or mild cleaning agent
• Dry towel or washcloth
Let’s jump into the process without any further.
• You have to warm water first. Be careful about the temperature of the water. Water must not be too hot. Excessive hot water can damage the rubber layer of the grip.
• Add two to three drops of liquid soap to the water and mix them well with your hand. Try to create foam and bubbles, so the soap mixes well with water.
• Take an old toothbrush and soak the brush into the mixture. Now, use the brush to rub the grips properly. This will remove dirt and dust. You will notice dirt would stick with the meeting.
• Check thoroughly if the grip is clean properly. Then, rinse it with clean water. Do not use too much water for rinsing.
• Use a fresh dry towel to absorb water from the grip and dry it.
The grips are ready to accompany you on the course!
Grip cleaning wipes
If you do not want to go through the soapy cleaning process, alternate the grip wipes process. This is another fantastic and super easy process for cleaning grips.
Grip cleaning wipes come with pads soaked in alcohol and other cleaning agents to make the cleaning process more effortless. They are made specifically to remove extra dirt from your club grips. You won’t need any extra supplies for cleaning. You only have to take a pad and rub it gently over the grips for cleaning. A noticeable difference will be there in some moments. Places will attract dirt within a few moments.
Isn’t it super easy to clean your grips?
You can clean all your grips with a single wipe at once. These wipes are also very reasonable in price. So you won’t have to spend much on this effortless cleaning. Grip cleaning wipes are available at any golf equipment store, or you can purchase them from Amazon. There are so many brands that make these wipes. Before purchasing, make sure to read each brand’s reviews so you can know all the pros and cons and make a wise decision.
These pads are also very easy to store. Although they come in a reseal bag, I recommend you keep them in a Ziploc bag. Thus, wipes won’t get dry quickly.
How often should you clean the golf grips?
This question is one of the most asked queries among golfers. Grips hold an essential place for a perfect shot. So, a golfer should always keep the grips clean and tidy. The question is, how often should you clean them?
The answer depends on a few factors. Your grip style, hand pressure, how often you play golf, the conditions you play in, etc., will vary the frequency of cleaning the grips.
It would be best if you thought of which material the grip is made of. If the grip is rubber and squishy, it needs more cleaning than any hard material grip. If you put too much tension on hold or add more hand pressure to the grip, it will naturally require more cleaning than average. Another consideration is how often you play golf. It is usual that if you play more, the grips will get dirty more often. So, it would help if you cleaned them more frequently.
There are other more factors you should keep in mind for the frequency of cleaning. Sweating more can cause you to clean the grips more often.
Finally, I suggest you keep a cleaning spray or grip wipes with you when you are on course. Wipe or spray the grips after finishing one round. This will keep the grips clean for a long time, and you won’t have to clean them often.
Cleaning golf grips are not a difficult task to do if you know the proper way. I have described all the ways you can apply to keep your grips neat and clean. However, you have the option of getting the grips cleaned by professionals. But why spend money when you can do the cleaning in just five to ten minutes at home? Use the strategies I have explained above to get extended, lasting, clean golf grips.